Thursday, May 17, 2012

Emily Joyce

When I heard the news of her death, I was instantly flooded with so many memories of my childhood friend. I haven’t been close with Emily these past few years but I sure loved her. The world lost a sweet soul.


She was fun, unpredictable, adventurous, and creative. We spent hours making up our own country music videos, inventing our own shampoo, lotion, and mouthwash, and then planning our marketing strategy. We were trying to get rich quick back then but realized black mouthwash wasn’t going to take off any time soon… so we hit the lemonade business pretty hard. I remember planning to set up our stand down by her house and she got a very excited face and explained “we HAVE to set up down by your house this time, the evan’s house is being built and the construction workers are going to be BIG customers” She was right-it was our most successful business venture.


We got along great because she was definitely a tomboy. Most of the games she made up revolved around sports- like knee soccer in the hallway of her old home. I can still feel the sting of my peeled knees from the carpet burns.


There was never a dull moment with her-like the garage sale day she stuck an electric shoe buffer to my head and it took hours to get my hair untangled! Had it been anyone else I might have been upset but she just laughed and laughed- I couldn’t help but find it hilarious.

She was brave- like the time we were across the street and a little boy threw a piece of wood at her- a 6 inch splinter was stuck through her eye lid and she didn’t even cry. She was just sitting in the back seat giving my mom directions to the hospital. Calm and cool and laid back as always.

She was so funny. She loved putting on shows and making people laugh, generally at her brother’s expense J “Houston we have a problem”- such a great memory I won’t go into detail about! or the infamous “fonda-wanda” skit.


In high school, we had fun working at Chuggy Bears-we’d take turns making up flavors. My favorite sno cone til this day is an Emily original recipe. And before we even cashed our checks we would celebrate our pay at Red Lobster for crab cracking Mondays.


I always appreciated the mixed cds she’d make for me- they were well thought out and current, and then she’d sneak a Dolly or Reba song in every one. When she was in my car she’d replay songs over and over until I learned the words and could sing along with her. I am still surprised at how many dolly songs I know all the words to.


We spent many nights contemplating digging up the time capsule we buried in the front yard of her old house- and she was certain she could explain to the new homeowners and they’d let us. Thinking about it now- I bet she would have convinced them to let us tear up their yard and may have even persuaded them to do the digging for us. She generally didn’t take no for an answer.


Emily had an amazing ability to befriend people of different social circles. She didn’t care about the drama of cliques, she was just friends with who she was friends with. She never met a stranger. Which is why there were so many different people from all phases of her life at her funeral service. She really made an impact on so many people. I believe she lived by the words of her hero "If you see someone without a smile give them yours.”-Dolly Parton

I have many fun memories with Emily, as I know so many others do, because every minute spent with her provided a million laughs and stories to be cherished for a lifetime.


Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment