Thursday, May 5, 2016

Baby R

Through the Foster care grapevine we heard of a 6 week old baby boy sleeping in CPS office. They couldn't find placement. So, I asked around, and still, nobody could take him. So, we said yes. We knew it was temporary, but we didn't know how temporary. For 6 days we had 5 children 3 and under. Oh.my.goodness. It was fun, and crazy, and wonderfully impossible. We are not ready for a long term placement, so we aren't technically open. But, I am so thankful he came to stay with us.

Baby R was special. He wasn't with us long, and I'll be honest, I didn't view him as a potential adoption at all. I knew it was temporary, but even if the kinship had fallen through, I don't think we would've been the best fit for him. He had a lot of medical needs and I am already stretched thin with my current crew, I know I couldn't give him the full attention he would require. I'm thankful he was with us because I was able to get him into the Foster Care Clinic and they found some things during testing, they may not have otherwise known. I really enjoyed having a little little babe again for a few days, and loved him as best I could. He was so sweet and cuddly. Several people reached out saying how Baby R touched their lives, even though he was with us for such a short time. Many people have gotten serious about becoming a licensed foster family (when they realized a baby was sleeping in CPS office). Sadly, that's happening a lot these days! A sweet friend grew in depth of love and value for the life growing inside of her, and I was encouraged by my boys. 

If you read my last post, you know we still struggle. Things are not perfect. I should really change this blog to Imperfectly Piatt. Because, that's what I really mean by the title anyway. But, having baby R in our home was amazing. Some days I get bogged down by the behavioral battles (three 3 year olds) and feel like there's zero growth. I get discouraged that we are all stuck in a fruitless battle. Wrong. My boys were loving, kind, gentle, helpful, sweet, sincere, and giving to a little baby in need. Really, all of the boys were so helpful. They were patient when I had to feed two babies at a time, or back to back, I was low on sleep and energy so didn't play with them as much as I normally would. We had to stay home and "miss" a lot of things because getting 5 out seemed like a bad idea! They had zero behavioral issues about sharing their home and their momma with Baby R.  When we told them Baby R was coming to stay and why, Carson responded, "Baby R doesn't have a home, and we have a good home so we should share it!" I am humbled by the amount of love my boys are capable of giving.






Saying goodbye wasn't horrible, we were fully prepared for a short stay. I was curious how the boys would handle it. They waved and watched him drive off and Carson said, "I'm so glad they found that baby a home." Kj said, "yea! and we have a home." then Kade said, "Yea, we do! let's go have a snack and then we can play." 

I do find myself missing him and wondering how he is. I pray for him daily. It's up to CPS and Grandma now. Bye sweet Baby R, thank you for reminding us all how important it is to practice sacrificial love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment